Part-Time Parish Bookkeeper
Summary Job Description:
St. John’s Episcopal Church, Plymouth, Michigan, is seeking a part-time Parish Bookkeeper. This individual will act as a key member of the team at St. John’s, working with the Treasurer, Rector, staff, volunteers, and the Vestry. The Parish Bookkeeper acts as a “point person” to conduct the bookkeeping needs of the Parish.
The bookkeeper is a part-time non-exempt position working between 10 to 14 hours per week. The church office is open Tuesday through Friday, four (4) days per week from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The hours for this position can be flexible as negotiated.
- Responsible for account reconciliations and monthly closing of all funds.
- Maintain paper copy of closing documents in a folder at St. John’s parish office.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations during the first two (2) weeks of the month.
- Prepare appropriate journal entries.
- Prepare monthly audit of Rector’s Discretionary Account.
- Prepare and document month end closing procedures.
- Enter budget into ACS.
- Enter bi-weekly payroll charges into ACS and maintain records on 1099 Misc. for employees as required.
- Receive and record pledge cards from households.
- Coordinate with Parish Administrator any information on new givers or returning givers that is updated in ACS during the weekly deposit.
- Prepare and send parishioner quarterly giving statements. Provide required IRS documentation to parishioners as requested.
- Complete monthly reconciliation of Secure Give receipts and fees to bank statements, including journal entries.
- Record receipts for giving categories as needed (Funerals, Vacation Bible School, Church rentals, etc.).
- Meet monthly with the Treasurer.
- Generate reports from ACS monthly for Vestry and staff such as Analysis of Revenues and Expenses and Balance Sheet.
- Work on ad hoc financial assignments from the Treasurer and/or Vestry as they arise.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Two to Five (2-5) years accounting experience, preferably with a Non-Profit.
- A demonstrated ability to learn, adapt and integrate new software and new technology.
- Skills in ACS church accounting software.
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office (especially Excel).
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and boundaries.
- Ability to multi-task and meet identified deadlines.
- Possess organizational, planning, problem solving and time management skills.
- Willingness to question procedures and propose process improvements.
This position reports to and takes direction from the Treasurer.
The Church office is scheduled to be open Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Other hours are available by agreement. Position hours are not to exceed 600 hours annually.
$15 to $20 per hour, dependent upon experience.
No benefits are applicable
A background check is required.
Please submit cover letter and resume via e-mail, or mail to:
St. John’s Episcopal Church
Attention: Kenneth Skoug, Treasurer
574 South Sheldon Road
Plymouth, MI 48170